Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, February 13, 2011

So I headed over to my local CVS today to get a few things and my total came to $5.56. I handed them the remainder of a gift card totaling $5.63. It happened to be the manager that was at the register helping the cashier and he just threw my gift card away. I asked the cashier if there was anything left on the card and he said in an annoyed voice "There's $.07. Do you really want it back?" I said, "Absolutely, seven cents is seven cents." So the manager yelled at him annoyed, "Just give her some change". Was that being an excessive penny pincher? Should I have just walked away over seven cents? What do you all think?

5 comments:

April said...

I don't think its being excessive, companies make millions of dollars every year by just adding a penny to things or by people not redeeming the last few cents on a gift card.

Of course, individuals won't make millions a year but pennies do add up. Plus, it was 7 cents which is almost a dime. Most people won't bend over for a found penny (I will though) but they would for a dime :)

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

I don't think it was excessive either. I think the cashier was rude! I'm almost always asked if I want gift cards back when they are empty (at Target, Toys R Us, Walmart...), so for him to just throw something of yours away without asking is pretty rude.

Anonymous said...

I would have wanted it back if there had only been a penny left on it! It's the principal of the whole thing.

Kay said...

First of all, it was the "manager" of a local CVS, not "just" an employee who threw your gift card away. This, to me, a consumer, says alot about the management and accuracy of the store. Watch closely when you check out....

Jill said...

April - I pick up pennies too lol
Wendy - I did take offense but I thought maybe I was overreacting - so thanks!

Thanks for all your great comments!

Coupons.com

groupon

Restaurant.com

Followers